Sunday, December 14, 2014

November and December 2014



Well, after weeks of rehearsals and explanations and general preparation, the play performance day came! We moved the desks out of the classroom and made it a stage for our actors, as well as a seating area for our audience. Each class did one show for parents and visiting teachers, as well as a third grade class. They come to see what they are going to do next year! The performances went well; they always do come together even with all the ups and downs (including the aggravation) of the practices. This year we did it with two karaoke machines as a microphone sound system. The parents loved it and the students were very proud of themselves; overall, it ended on a lovely positive note. After they settled down from the performance-- and in some cases to help them to settle down!-- I put on A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving for them to watch. I have to admit that, as much as I don't enjoy the whole play experience with them, it always ends well. And not just because I'm relieved that it's over! 

I spent Thanksgiving in Chicago at the invitation of a sister friend of mine. She is in my group; we entered the community at the same time and went through the beginning of our religious life together. I also have other friends in Chicago and it was nice to see those sisters, too! It was a lovely and relaxing weekend. We had a delicious Thanksgiving meal and I had the opportunity to play games and go shopping, as well as to just relax. It's a comfortable convent, and I am now considering going there for my yearly retreat this summer. 

We've been getting ready for Christmas in school by celebrating Advent. I have been using Scripture passages about Elizabeth and Zechariah, Mary and Joseph, and John the Baptist to show them the meaning of Advent. I have also been trying to get ready for Christmas myself! I bought presents and even have a plan as to how best to fly with them back to New Jersey from Michigan; I am packing them unwrapped with the gift bags and tissue paper on the side. I have a little more than a week in New Jersey, which I am excited about. It was nice to spend  time with our sisters in Chicago, but it's not the same as being home. I learned from a mistake I made last year when I made my flight arrangements, too. You see, last year I flew out the day after the last day of school before the break, and it was very stressful for me to be ready to leave, right on the heels of finishing up school matters. This year our last day is a Friday, and I fly out on Monday. I am giving myself the gift of sanity this year! 

1 comment:

  1. *** The painfully slow process of uncovering the child abuse that happened within the Catholic Church continues. The members of the church continue to try and protect the wrong people, at the expense of victims, their families and the American public. ***

    The Archdiocese of Chicago has voluntarily released documents related to 36 Archdiocesan priests who have at least one substantiated allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor. These documents are in addition to those released in January on 30 other priests. This release, together with the January release, covers priests who have substantiated allegations of sexual misconduct with minors identified on the Archdiocese's website as of November 2014. Documents pertaining to two priests, former Rev. Daniel J. McCormack and Rev. Edward J. Maloney, are not included, due to ongoing processes that do not permit release.

    Inquiries may be directed to the Office of the Protection of Children and Youth, Archdiocese of Chicago, PO Box 1979, Chicago, IL 60690.

    ReplyDelete