Monday, April 27, 2015

April update





We had our long-awaited Spring Break. It's a funny thing about breaks like that; they seem to take a long time to come and then they pass so quickly! Mine started with the Triduum, because Easter Week was really our Spring Break. I was able to make it a retreat, which I really like to do on our high holy days. The quiet, the personal prayer time, and of course, the religious services and Masses made it a powerful time for prayer and reflection on the last days of Jesus' human life. We took part in all the services and Masses at the big convent out here. 

On Easter Sunday I joined the sisters at the big convent for Mass, prayers, and breakfast, as well as for dinner. The others were away that day, and the other sisters showed me such great hospitality and real affection that I had a lovely day. I called my family, too, and then enjoyed getting back what I gave up for Lent. It felt good to get back on I-tunes! I really only had an issue when I was alone in the house Easter Sunday night. The house has never been scarier! I had a hard time sleeping alone here, but I survived. One of the sisters returned on Monday with her grand-nephew in tow. I got some games from my classroom; he is in the fourth grade, so I had plenty that he would be interested in. We played Apples and Apples, Uno, and Go Fish for hours. 

On Easter Tuesday my mom and grandma came out to Michigan to see me. I showed them the sights around here, taking care to bring them to the neat places that I had found since coming out here. They were most impressed by the Town Peddler, a second-hand, antique, and specialty items store near the convent. We all went to Frankenmuth, MI for the first time at the end of the week. It was all decorated for Easter, and the shops are set up to look like a village in Bavaria, Germany. They had a huge store that just sold Christmas items. One of the other sisters was home with us during their visit and she showed them such lovely hospitality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment