Friday, August 22, 2014

August Update



I have truly been on the go this August! It all began with the Chapter of Mats, a meeting of about 300 of our sisters in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Not only did I attend the gathering, but I went there a few days early to help set up. A group of us drove out from Livonia, Michigan (outside Detroit), forming a caravan of cars and a U-haul. We were bringing all the decorations and ambience for the hotel. During those days, we unpacked the U-haul, unwrapped fragile items, and placed them strategically around the hotel. I had never helped set up for those events before; usually I merely attend them. I never realized how much work goes into getting set up for them! It was definitely an adventure, as I pitched in as needed, and watched as the sisters who were coming trickled in. 

When the Chapter of Mats ended, we went north to Polonia, Wisconsin. This was where our sisters first came to this country, to minister to the Polish people. We had a day of pilgrimage that was prayerful and reflective. I carried the portable sound system in the procession. I should say that I tried to; it was pretty heavy! I had help. With the help of the microphone and speakers, the sisters could hear the prayers and meditations as they were read aloud. The day of pilgrimage ended with a feast in a local parish hall. Alot of the food was homemade by the parishioners there. I sat with some sisters from the Connecticut area, and had a chance to catch up with them. I lived in that area for several years. 

When the day of pilgrimage ended, most of the others boarded the buses, while 8 of us stayed behind. We had a retreat there. For six days, I rested, prayed, wrote, and reflected. They were fruitful and relaxing days and they went by quickly! 

After that I flew to New Jersey for a gathering of younger sisters. I actually got there a few days early, because of the timing of the retreat, so I took the opportunity to visit my family. I had dinner at my dad's house and visited my grandfather in the Veterans Home. I also caught up on some TV shows that I missed while I was on retreat.

 The temporary professed gathering was lovely! Some of our sisters gave us classes; the topics were Spiritual Reading, Religious Life Yesterday and Today, Blessed Mary Angela and Her Love of the Eucharist, and Mission and Ministry. The most helpful one for me was the one about spiritual reading, which I have been trying to do more often and better. The others were interesting, too, though. We also went on day trips, one to New York City and one to Philadelphia. When we went to New York, we saw the 9/11 Memorial and then went on a boat tour of the island, including the Statue of Liberty. In Philadelphia we visited a nursing home and convent that our sisters have there and did some sight-seeing there, too. The outings were a nice opportunity to have fun together and to enjoy our time in the area. 

Now I'm back in Michigan and am getting ready for school! My classroom is coming together and I am getting organized. I have time, though, a little less than 2 weeks. We start after Labor Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment