Saturday, February 10, 2018

Relationships and Connectedness

Today I attended the funeral of a Conventual Friar who had been living with us at the central convent in Enfield, CT. A large group of sisters went, actually, despite the fact that Fr. Donald lived with us for less than two weeks. Part of why they-- and I-- went was the sense of connection that we have with our Franciscan brothers who have retired to our convent. It made me realize anew the important role that relationships play in how connected I feel to community, the Church, and, really, the family of humanity. This energizes and nourishes me each day.

First, there are the relationships that I've formed where I live. The sisters and friars that I live with are wise companions for my journey, and I enjoy the time that I spend with them and the opportunities that I've had to get to know them better. I know, though, that if this was all I had, community could become frustrating. It isn't easy to not even be 40 yet and to be living in what is effectively a nursing home. It helps, though, that I'm as connected as I am to the Congregation that I've entered. Because of my experiences and the formation that I've experienced, I'm able to "own" the charism, mission, and vision of the Felician Sisters-- to consider it to be mine-- and to feel a strong kinship with all Felician Sisters. I make it a point to attend community meetings and gatherings, and to be active in committees, as it feeds that sense of connection and purpose. In fact, lately I've broadened that sense of kinship to all religious sisters. We're all in this together, after all, and as we move into the future, and numbers continue to dwindle, that will become increasingly true.

That brings me to another kind of relationship that has come to mean a great deal to me-- those with other younger women who are members of religious communities. I recently attended a retreat for young religious women under 40, where I was nourished, encouraged, and rejuvenated. It was life-giving for me to be with others who have many of the same dreams and experiences that I do. Since then, I've signed up for another event with that organization, and have been keeping in touch with them through social media. In fact, I have plans with several of them who live in the Connecticut-Massachusetts area over the coming Presidents Day Weekend! Then, of course, there is always my family and friends. I try to stay close to them through phone calls and social media, and by visiting when I can. I go home for holidays and spend most of my vacation time with them. Even with its complications, being with family is always a blessing. It never fails to astonish me, too, how my bond with close friends isn't touched by the extended time apart. We just pick up right where we left off.

Relationships are a crucial aspect of being Franciscan. I'm by nature academically inclined and very much a logical person, so my attraction to St. Francis and the movement that he embodies was, in a way, surprising. But his simplicity drew me, and God pulled at me through the call to service of my brothers and sisters. My time in community has shown me how important relationship is, and this has been a major area of growth since I entered.


No comments:

Post a Comment