Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Writing the biography


In my last blog entry, I shared excerpts of text and photos from the biography that I wrote about Sister Celeste, who is a missionary in Tulita of the Northwest Territories of Canada. In this entry, I’d like to share my reflections on the experience of writing the biography.
                The assignment didn’t originate within the community. The person who asked me to do it is our provincial minister, but the biography was requested by the Sacred Congregation in the Vatican. They asked each Congregation to submit a biography of at least one member who is a missionary. The decision to choose Sister Celeste wasn’t mine; that part was assigned, too. However, I probably would have chosen her. I knew that she had been in mission in the Northwest Territories for a long time, and that she is highly respected by both the people she ministers to and the sisters in our community.
                The process began with Google. I knew that Sister Celeste had already done at least one interview and had heard that she was the recipient of several awards. I found more than I thought I would: multiple interviews, considerable coverage of the awards she received, and other articles and blogs about the geographical area and the community there. I also looked into our Felician history, specifically the book about the congregation that was written, and at our Felician web sites. I was able to do enough research to create a working draft of a biography. I knew that the rest of the information would have to come from the archive in Canada, at the convent where she entered the community.
                At the same time, I was also making phone calls. The first call was to the archivist in Canada, to plan my trip there. After some research, I called Sister Celeste to schedule an interview, which we did over the phone. I then booked my flight to the archive in Canada and did what was needed to communicate my plans.
                The materials that they had in the archive were interesting. They included books she had written, her personal correspondence, the awards she had won, and the records that she kept of her ministries. An additional source was the sisters who lived in the convent. They were eager to tell me stories about Sister Celeste and her ministries. Several of them had been there for short term ministries or a visit and wanted to share their experiences. These conversations gave me a great sense of who Sister Celeste was and what she is actually doing. They also showed me how much she is loved and respected by the people there, and how much she returns their esteem. It was a great experience of community for me to be with them. 
                This experience reminded me that we accomplish more with community. I set out to write a biography of a great individual and found instead that she is a part of several communities. She works with the diocese, the community of people, and our Felician community. When she does initiate, she includes people, reaching out to them and empowering them to make a difference. As I wrote about her accomplishments, I was struck by how connected she is and how important relationships are to her.
At the end of the process, I had a 15-page biography with a cover sheet, photographs, and list of sources. I also was inspired by the example of Sister Celeste. I hope one day to take part in the ministry in Tulita short term, and to see in person what I wrote about.

No comments:

Post a Comment