Saturday, September 22, 2018

New Approach for a New Ministry Year

The biggest surprise about having shingles wasn't the symptoms, the duration, or even that I got the disease at all. It was the turning point that the experience brought me to. My doctor told me that, at my age, shingles would only have been brought on by stress. I couldn't trace it back to one traumatic event, so I questioned the role that stress plays in my life and how my perspective contributes to it. I chose to control how the stressors in my life affect me better. 

I started by changing my perspective. One is to think more realistically. Being practical about what I can reasonably expect myself to accomplish makes a task possible and creates less pressure for myself. Another is to prioritize. I do a variety of tasks that have different deadlines, with varying degrees of importance. Remembering that some of them do not need to be taken as seriously as others is helpful. I also, in a general way, have become more relaxed. Living a more unclenched life allows me to experience less stress.

Another approach is prayer. Time spent in quiet solitude with God or doing spiritual reading provides spiritual nourishment. Consistently taking the time to pray, no matter how busy the day is, is a great help. 

I also have indulged in my hobbies more. I have been reading for fun again, reserving books from the library and enjoying them in my spare time. I also take the time to take walks outside. 

Having a lower stress level has made me happier and, interestingly, more efficient. Sometimes it means that I spend less time doing my work, but the time that I do spend in my office is more productive. I'm encouraged to continue on this course of action!

No comments:

Post a Comment