Saturday, February 27, 2021

Leadership

Lately, I've been reflecting on myself as a leader. I noticed that I've been taking more initiative, starting projects and groups and guiding them. Also, the ministry I do for my community is increasingly requiring leadership skills to fit my role as archivist of our new Heritage Center and consolidated archives. I feel called to find out what kind of leader I am, what skills and gifts I have and need to work on. In addition, I recently turned 40 and feel that I have something more to do or be. I'd like to step up and share what I've learned, and more of myself. 

So I applied, with my community's support, to a leadership program for younger sisters, and started that process. It begins with evaluation, one I do on myself and surveys other people fill out about me, too. Soon I'll have my debriefing session where I'll get the feedback they gave me. I relish the opportunity for personal growth and am curious about what was said about me, but I'm also nervous. I believe, though, that the information I get will help me be more aware of my strengths and growing areas, which can be the foundation for a better me. 

Also, we have an election coming up, where we will prayerfully vote upon new sisters who will guide our province. I'm on the committee that's planning for it. But that's not the only reason I'm pondering leadership. For the first time, I am eligible to serve my province in this way. It brings up questions: Am I ready for that? What do I have to offer? My initial reaction is mixed and rather confusing. However,  I believe that participating fully in the process will help me, and that the Holy Spirit is going to work through the steps, and the sisters gathered to discern our next leaders. I'm looking forward to being part of that process, and, as always, am willing to help my community in any way I'm called. 

This is a different kind of leadership, based on compassion for others' needs and the light of God's will. I continue to pray that this reflection will help me see both myself and the common good more clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment