Thursday, November 11, 2021

Being a sister when the future of religious life is uncertain

 Hello, all! 

I had an opportunity to contribute to an article in a magazine about being a sister during a time when the future of religious life is uncertain. I was one of four younger sisters who answered four questions on this topic. 


1.     Have you personally noticed this generational difference in your own life (the difference being that you seem more accustomed to a world of less certainty and constant change than your elders do)? If so, would you share an example of when you experienced this difference and what questions it evoked for you?

1.       I see this generational difference in our attitudes and feelings about the closing of the institutions our community ran and ministered in for so long. I know older sisters and their lay contemporaries who mourn the loss of our schools and hospitals. I understand that closings are sad, but I also see the possibilities and potential of change. I recognize that letting the old pass leaves room for the new that is coming. It’s part of being open to the Spirit, of discerning God’s will and moving into the future. 

2.     What’s it like for you to live with unanswerable questions?

   I’ve experienced a direct connection between living the questions and becoming the best version of myself.  I like to be informed, but I also believe it’s important to embrace uncertainty. My time in community has been a time of great personal development, particularly from situations that surprise and stretch me. Ambiguity fosters spiritual and emotional growth, which is important to me. Uncertainty is part of my journey; I am guided by insights and help from others. The unanswerable questions are a springboard to the future, where I can be the best version of myself.

3.     What helps you stay in the present? Where do you find what you need to take just the next step forward?

   The relationships that I have with the people in my daily life help me stay present. Being in relationship gives me compassion and empathy, bringing my attention to what matters. Through engagement in their lives and concerns, I plug into the moment. I become vulnerable with others, more open and connected to them. Deepening connections to others give me the support and challenge I need to move forward in my life, living from my heart and listening better to others’ hearts. It keeps me rooted in the reality of the moment.

4.     How is it for you not to feel much certainty about your own place in religious life in the future?

 When I ponder religious life in the future, I wonder what community will be like. I entered my community seeking like-hearted women who loved God and their brothers and sisters in Christ, and I still value that. I found that in the Felician Sisters. However, like other congregations, we’re top heavy with elderly sisters. As archivist, I keep the records for each sister who dies—and there are a lot of them! I am sometimes anxious about the uncertainty of declining numbers; it seems that there won’t be much Felician community left for me when I’m older. However, my sense of religious community goes beyond the Felicians. It includes sisters from other communities; membership in Giving Voice is a big part of that for me. I feel a strong bond between myself and other sisters and embrace opportunities to be in relationship with them. Active involvement in inter-community activities helps me meet and connect to sisters from other congregations. In addition, I trust that God is guiding the future of religious life, that it will work out the way it is meant to.

5.     What would you like to say to those older than you in religious life who find living with so much that is unknown challenging?

  I’d like to share how positive living with the unknown can be. I’d reassure them that the Holy Spirit is at work in this, bringing inspiration and growth to the Church and religious life. God is breathing life into stale structures and attitudes. Even when He blows them away entirely, it’s to make room for something new. Being open to that means being open to God’s will, which is always the best way for us to go!

6.     What or who inspires you when you think about living peacefully with uncertainty?

 Children inspire me to live peacefully with uncertainty. They’re playful, with a sense of adventure. They’re open to what comes and have fun with it. They can do this because they trust their parents; they know they’re safe and cared for. In the same way, I can trust God to hold me in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment