Wednesday, February 2, 2022

My Vocation Story

Hello, all! Sorry for the delay on posting!

In early February (sometimes late January), the Catholic Church celebrates the World Day of Consecrated Life. In celebration of my call to be a sister, I decided to share my vocation story. Here it is! 

My Vocation Story 

I was raised in a single parent home by my mother, who is lapsed Catholic. My parents divorced when I was in second grade and my father’s involvement in my life was unreliable at best, especially in my younger years. We attended Mass infrequently, mostly on Easter and Christmas. While my sisters and I completed the CCD program and received the sacraments, we also heard a lot of negative talk about the Catholic Church, particularly about pro-life concerns and the teaching on divorce. Having grown up with this negativity, I developed my own issues with the Church. After I was Confirmed, I stopped going to church completely.

My return to the Church began in college. I attended Seton Hall University, where I was a typical freshman; I lived in the dormitory and enjoyed my freedom. That changed when the fire happened. We evacuated the building in the middle of the night and watched the smoke and flames eat at the dorm. By morning, we learned that three students had died and several were badly injured. Even though I didn’t know any of those students, I was struck by the experience. It could easily have been me who was badly burned or killed! I wondered what my legacy would have been if I had died that night. I was so aimless, without direction or purpose. I questioned: What did I believe in? What did I stand for? I sunk into depression, feeling as though I was surrounded by darkness.

I tried turning to the faith of my childhood, but there was no solace in the cafeteria-style Catholicism I grew up with. Picking and choosing the parts I liked and agreed with while leaving other aspects behind didn’t give me a foundation to stand on when I needed firm ground. I needed more from religion. I decided to either embrace Catholicism or find a new religion.

I became active in the Catholic services of Seton Hall, going to Mass on Sundays and, later, daily, and getting involved in Campus Ministry. I volunteered, helping a variety of charitable organizations. I made friends who were devout Catholics, praying and socializing with them. I revisited the concerns I had about the Catholic Church, asking the questions and receiving answers that brought me peace. I realized that the Church was holding me to an ideal that God Himself had set, so I could become the best version of myself. It became a place that I could dream of brighter possibilities for myself, all people, and the world. 

I was increasingly involved in my faith, joining faith sharing groups and becoming a Secular Franciscan. When I went to Mass and we prayed for the intention of vocations to religious life, I wondered if that was directed at me. I was often approached by people about it; they would ask if I had considered being a sister. My involvement in different faith-based communities had nurtured and encouraged me so much! I loved the idea of having companions on this journey who loved Jesus and wanted to help others as much as I did.

At this point, I actively discerned religious life. I participated in retreats on this theme, visited religious communities, and started meeting with a spiritual director. Eventually, I found a group of women who I felt at home with. In 2008, I formally started the process of discernment with the Felician Sisters, who I professed final vows with in 2017. It’s been a blessed journey, and I’m sure there are many blessings to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment