Monday, November 20, 2017

Beatification of Capuchin friar Solanus Casey

I had the privilege of attending the beatification of Fr. Solanus Casey at Ford Field in Detroit. What a wonderful and inspiring experience of Church, as we gathered together with great joy to celebrate the life and example of this simple, holy man!

It was my first in-person experience of a beatification. Beyond that, I wanted to go because of the impression I got of Fr. (now Blessed!) Solanus when I was living and teaching in Livonia, Michigan for two years. I was struck by his humble, giving spirit. We would take the fourth grade students from the school to the Solanus Casey Center in Detroit, and I was moved by how they "took to" Fr. Solanus. They sensed that they were on holy ground, and behaved with great reverence. It was also moving to see them pray at his tomb and leave their prayer requests there. 

Some photos of the experience:
                                                          Banners hung outside of the Solanus Casey Center.
                                                      A 3-D decoration inside the Center.
When I was at our central convent in Livonia, I learned that Fr. Solanus was present at the dedication of our convent there. This photo proves it!
                                                    Me and Bl. Solanus Casey!
Sister Susan Adele and myself having fun at the Solanus Casey Center.
 
Sister Regina and I with Barbara Jean Daly Horell, a great-niece of Bl. Solanus. We know her from the Biblical School in the Hartford diocese here in CT. More than 300 members of his family were there!

No comments:

Post a Comment