Saturday, June 16, 2018

6 Reasons I'm Glad that I went to the Franciscan Federation



The group of Felician Sisters at the Franciscan Federation meeting. 
This past weekend, I went to Buffalo, NY to attend the annual gathering of the Franciscan Federation. Each year, members of Franciscan groups meet to hear speakers, be together, and see what Franciscan resources (books, music, etc.) are out.

I'm happy that I went. Here are 6 reasons why:

1. Travelling: It's refreshing to go to a different place, with different people and a different schedule. New experiences are a real shot in the arm!

2. Experiencing my own community in a varied way: I was at the Franciscan Federation with 7 other Felician Sisters. I got to share this experience with them and relate to them in a new way. It puts a new wrinkle on established relationships.

3. Hearing great speakers on an interesting topic: This year, the brother-priest who started the Center for Islamic Studies at St. Bonaventure's University and the sister who wrote The Saint and the Sultan spoke about St. Francis meeting and spending time with the Sultan. It was an eye-opening and thought-provoking look at Islam and how to dialogue with other faith traditions and cultures.

4. Sharing faith: The schedule included opportunities for us to share our answers to reflection questions. We shared on a deeper level at my table.

5. Connecting to the universal Catholic Church: I always appreciate the chance to connect to the extended Catholic community. Spending time with other Franciscans allowed me to do this. It's energizing to experience the hugeness and diversity of what it means to be Catholic.

6. Sister Mary Rene Procopio: Each year, the communities at the gathering nominate one member for a Franciscan award. This year, the Felicians nominated Sister Rene, who started and showed such commitment to the poor of Mooncrest County in Pennsylvania. Sadly, she died recently, but we gathered in her memory.

The award for S. Rene.





No comments:

Post a Comment