Saturday, June 16, 2018

St. Casimir School Closing

My first ministry assignment after making my first vows was to St. Casimir School in Manchester, New Hampshire. There, I lived with Sisters Frances and Thomas. The three of us all worked in the school; Sister Frances was principal, Sister Thomas taught religion to the 7th and 8th grades, and I was the 4th grade teacher. I lived there for two years.

Recently we found out that due to low registration, the school was closing. This was a sad occasion. The school had been open 112 years, and had been staffed by Felician Sisters from the beginning, first by sisters from the Buffalo province, then by sisters from the Lodi province, and finally by sisters of the Enfield province. I had fond memories of ministering and living there, and when we were invited to attend the closing Mass and reception, I signed up to go. 

There were families, teachers, and students from the school at the reception. It was a blessing to see them again! It was nice to remember the school, and the long-time pastor who had died. It meant a lot to me to honor my time at St. Casimir's and the people that I knew there. 
Sister Laureann with a former student and her daughter
The Felician Sisters with Father, cutting the cake

Sister Thomas, who graduated from St. Casimir's, with three other members of her graduating class
Me with Maddox, from one of my fourth grade classes

Me with the computer teacher from St. Casimir's


No comments:

Post a Comment