Saturday, November 10, 2018

This Widow's Mite

There is a saying that Jesus came to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. I find it to be true; Jesus is my gentle shepherd when I need it, but He also challenges me to keep growing. The Bible contains verses and stories where God plays either role in our lives.

For me, one of those challenging verses is: "God loves a cheerful giver." It's from one of St. Paul's letters-- I'm pretty sure it's from one of the two that he wrote to the Corinthians. I live in one of our larger convents where most of our sisters move when they need some level of support. The smaller percentage of us who are able (and willing) take on multiple roles in the life of the community. As the youngest sister in the house, I am called upon to do a lot of different tasks. There is very little here that I don't do, at least occasionally.

It's easy to be a cheerful giver when I can give at my convenience: the way I want to, to the extent that I'm comfortable with, and according to my own timing. It's easy to give a little of what I'm familiar with when I feel like it. It's harder to be have a cheerful attitude when the tasks pile up or it seems like I'm the only that is asked. Sometimes I feel like I walk through the house with a target sign on my back. On those days, what I feel is closer to resentment than cheer.

I've figured out a few things about being a cheerful giver, though. One is the importance of boundaries. It sounds funny, doesn't it? The trick to better giving is giving less?! It isn't possible for me to do everything all the time, though, and when I try to, I become drained and even angry. When I scale down what I do to a more realistic, yet still challenging, level, I am better able to give with a loving heart.

I redefined what my job is here. I have what we call an internal ministry, which means that I work for the community rather than for a school, parish, or hospital. I have certain jobs: Archivist, Writer of local history, IT helper. I've broadened that. Now, I see my role here as working for the community, period. I still do the three jobs that are assigned to me, but I'm more flexible about it. If circumstances are such that I'm needed as a driver or to help prepare the liturgy programs for a holy day, and it takes a big bite out of my day, I consider it part of how I support my community. Being flexible has helped me a lot.

There's a Gospel reading that inspires me It's about a widow with only a few coins to give to the temple collection. Maybe you remember it. Others give much more than her, from their excess wealth. She gives the little that she has. Jesus says, "... she, from her poverty, contributed all that she had, her whole livelihood." (Mark 12:44) I love my community, and I love to serve, and I, too, feel called to give all. Jesus certainly did! He didn't hold anything back, right up until his death on the cross. This spirit of loving, sacrificial service inspires me to keep giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment