Saturday, November 17, 2018

Fairy Tales

I've been reading a lot of fairy tales the last month or two. I found out about several young adult authors and series, and have been requesting them from the library. It's light reading; I can read a whole book in one sitting. I explained it to myself two ways: I grew up on fairy tales, particularly in the form of Disney movies, and the magical-happily-ever-after themed books were like the Hallmark movies that I enjoy.

There are a lot of authors putting their own spin on familiar fairy tales. I avoid the books that render them dark or sexy, preferring them to be positive and wholesome. Contemporary authors, too, remove the sexism and replace it with strong women who play an equal role both in the relationship and the adventure. This certainly makes the stories more palatable. Some of those Disney princesses didn't sit right with me! Also, the romantic in me is drawn to the idea of true love.  I personally know of more marriages and families broken by divorce than those that stay together, so the happily-ever-after part is welcome.

These books are spiritual in their own way. Some thoughts on this:

The good vs. evil theme. Every day the forces of good and evil battle in our hearts and lives. In these stories, of course, good always wins. This isn't as different from real life as it seems. Our God is loving and all-powerful, and He can make the best come out of the worst situations.

The settings of the stories are magical lands. Magical forces play an important role in these stories. Love and goodness itself are the strongest kinds. It is often the purity of true love or the virtue of the hero that triumphs over the darker magic. I've made it through some tough situations because of virtues like faith, hope, and love. I wouldn't say that they're magical exactly, but they are powerful.

The quest. Many of them have a task to perform, or a mission to go on, and they grow in wisdom as they go through it. The spiritual journey is the ultimate quest!

It's possible, too, that I like them because my inner child does. That's enough of a reason for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment