Monday, December 28, 2020

A Christmas Like No Other

"May the blessings of the Christ Child be yours this Christmas! May the peace and hope He brought be in your heart!" I wrote variations of this message in my Christmas cards this year.  This year I especially needed it, myself!

My community is following CDC guidelines and celebrating the holidays locally. This means we spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas where we live, with the sisters we share daily life with. It also means we're not travelling to see family or friends. This is a big change for me, as each year I go to New Jersey to see loved ones for these holidays. In fact, under normal circumstances, being in Connecticut allows me to take the train or drive there. 

Being a proactive person, I found ways to connect with family and friends. I initiated Zooms for my family for both Christmas and Thanksgiving. I called during family gatherings to talk to them while they were together. Then there were the extra phone calls to them individually! I also sent extra Christmas cards this year, including a Christmas letter, which is a rarity for me. 

I also wanted to be fully engaged in the holidays here, participating in everything. I also enjoyed the lighter schedules that come with the holidays, private prayers and later Masses. I listened to Christmas music during Mass and on YouTube, and read light Christmas novels, too. I even started something: a musical movie night, with plenty of snacks! Honestly, at first it was for me. I didn't want Thanksgiving to be too quiet, so I wouldn't miss my family too much. I played the movie Singing in the Rain for everyone, and arranged for the snacks. We enjoyed it so much that I played another one for Christmas: White Christmas! I'm hoping this continues; I'm already considering the next one. Maybe Fred and Ginger...

The most helpful part by far was prayer! The readings and prayers at Mass were beautiful, and I spent time in quiet contemplation in front of the nativity scene. I found a great spiritual book, too, and have been reflecting on it. The hope and joy of Christmas has inspired and strengthened me. 

There have been some hard moments. It isn't easy to be away from family during the holidays. It was my first Christmas away from them. I usually stay for the week, visiting friends and family. Now I'm spending those days here. I'm trying to keep up the Christmas cheer and have fun, while staying connected to God through prayer and reflection. I'm still looking forward to having a few days "off". 

Merry Christmas to you! I hope you find the blessings where they are. I'm certainly trying to!


No comments:

Post a Comment