Wednesday, December 2, 2020

My Christmas Letter

 

Blessings of the Season!


In Advent, we both remember Jesus’ birth and anticipate this year’s celebration of Christmas. We think about what we’ll do this Christmas and who we’ll be with. We also don’t merely recall how Jesus came among us more than 2,000 years ago. We think of how He is with us now, throughout our day and in new ways every day. He not only was present among us; He is and will be!

Like most people, 2020 was a hard year for me. It started with the death of a beloved uncle; soon afterward, my grandmother had health issues. In February we started hearing about COVID on the news, and the rest is history. Our convent went into quarantine and then lockdown. I wasn’t able to attend family celebrations for Easter or this Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Through it all, I felt God near me. His loving-kindness came to me through the support and care of my community, friends, and family. These relationships helped sustain me. The extra quiet time spent alone was an opportunity to draw closer to God in prayer and reflection. At daily Mass, my community lifted up the needs of the world in prayer, and God was in the unity I experienced. Too, the evening news reported the generosity and concern of so many for their neighbors and total strangers. This invitation to bring the love of God to others reminded me that God’s presence is also a present we can give.

As we celebrate how God came among us in His son, may we also recognize how He is with us now. Our preparation for Christmas can include opening our hearts and minds to how He is present. We can find ways to bring Him to others, too.

I pray that your Advent preparation and Christmas celebration are truly Spirit-filled: full of joy, insight, and peace!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment