Saturday, May 29, 2021

St. Joseph

 

               Pope Francis started the Year of St. Joseph with an apostolic letter, titled Patris Corde, “with a Father’s heart.” The dedication commemorates the 150th anniversary of Saint Joseph as patron of the universal Church. Patris Corde celebrates the multiple roles and titles of this holy man who was present for key events in the Gospels. He was a just man who had the courage to become the legal father of Jesus and face the dangers posed to the Holy Family. Among the titles previous Popes bestowed upon St. Joseph are Patron of the Catholic Church, Patron of Workers, and the Patron Saint of a Happy Death. He is both the Guardian of the Redeemer and Guardian of the Church.

              The Pope describes seven aspects of St. Joseph’s role as a father: beloved, tender and loving, obedient, accepting, creatively courageous, working, and hidden in shadows. In the letter, each characteristic is movingly described. I was especially inspired by his obedience in the face of great obstacles, his hidden life, and his creative courage, particularly how he heard God through dreams.

              Another aspect of St. Joseph the apostolic letter describes is his obedience. He heard and followed God’s will, at great cost to himself. Responding to God’s call led him on travels that uprooted his family and brought him into dangerous situations. I’ve experienced the costs of obedience myself, as I yield to the needs of society and my community. Seeing how the sacrifices I’ve made have contributed to the welfare of others makes it more than worth it.

              Pope Francis describes St. Joseph as “a father in the shadows.” He lived a quiet life, spent working and protecting his family.  His was a daily presence, discrete and unnoticed. In fact, he is a reminder that those who live a hidden life can play an important role in salvation history. In this time of pandemic, we’ve seen how important these individuals are: grocery store clerks, bus drivers, and delivery workers. I’ve experienced this personally. During quarantine and lockdown, the employees at the central convent supported us in ways that can only be described as essential. They provided everything we needed so we could be safe. I’m beyond grateful for everything they’ve done for us!

              In the section about St. Joseph’s creative courage, Pope Francis also describes how he responded in his current situation, using his full humanity to fulfill God’s will. One way he experienced God was through his dreams. Twice in the Gospels, St. Joseph hears God’s message while asleep, and takes action when waking. I’ve never been one to find much meaning in what happens during my REM sleep; I don’t often look into my dreams for symbolic import. But I find myself resonating with Joseph the Dreamer in another way. He was open to how God spoke to him. When God revealed His will in dreams, St. Joseph was ready to respond. This challenges me. Am I as willing to hear God’s message wherever it may be coming from? Or do I let my expectations and ideas about God determine how I experience His presence? I believe that God reaches out to us in our humanity in so many ways. I certainly don’t want to miss how He comes into my daily life.

              St. Joseph continues to inspire me as I journey. This apostolic letter has helped me to find new dimensions to his spiritual guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment